Group Therapy Programs are run each school holidays, under the business name Bright Side Learning and Therapy which is a joining of Side by Side Psychology with Bright Futures Mildura- Danielle O’Brien (Educational Consultant).
We use a combination of published (manualised) group programs as well as original programs designed to address social and emotional skill development for children in kindergarten and children who are completing the final years of primary school. The groups usually run across one week of the holidays for 10 hours, with sessions daily.
All of the groups include fun team building and creative construction activities while exploring emotions, emotion regulation skills, introduction to mindfulness and relaxation skills. Underpinning this is an understanding of positive psychology, including gratitude practices and growth mindset concepts. A focus on practice of social skills and social thinking skills is also part of our philosophy.
Groups that we have run include:
- Exploring Feelings Programs; CBT for anxiety (by Tony Attwood)
- Exploring Feelings The Stress and Anger Management Program for ASD children (by Tony Attwood)
- The Zones of Regulation Program (Leah Kuypers)
- The Summer Starters Group (for children entering school in the new school year)
- The Autumn Zones Program (ideas from The Zones of Regulation and Social Thinking)
- The Magic of Me (a Harry Potter inspired group)
- You’ve Got a Friend in Me (A Toy Story inspired group about friendship skills)
- Happiness Ninjas
- The Recipe for Friendship
- The Colour Monsters
- The Game of Life
- What’s Your Superpower?
- How to train a warrior
- Science of Happiness
- Minecraft (TM) Themed Group
- Westmead Feelings Program
A new group will occur each school holidays which will incorporate a new theme each time. Previous group participants are invited to return and booking early is encouraged to prevent missing out on a place.
With the implementation of social distancing recommendations, our groups returned to face to face earlier in the year and will continue in this fashion for our Summer 2021 School Holiday program with infection control implemented to limit the spread of germs and viruses. This is likely to include minimising the number of adults allowed on the premises.
We are currently taking enrolments for our Summer School Holiday groups beginning the 11th January 2021 with enrolments closing 20th December or when groups are full.
11th -15th January 2021
Summer Starters Group (2021 Prep students) 9-11am daily.
& Westmead Feelings Program (ASD children 6-8 yrs), 12-1:30pm daily.
18th -22nd January 2021
Social Emotional Group for Grades 1-3, 9-11am daily.
Social Emotional Group for Grades 3-6. 12-2pm daily.